April 17, 2008

There's been an oil spill!


In a few of my postings I have mentioned the use of Cleansing Oils. Cleansing oils are nothing new to skincare & in fact has been a cleansing method used for centuries. I have been using the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) for the last year. I use this at night to remove makeup & sunscreen, however I do follow with a cleanser. Just for reference, I have combination skin that gets drier in the winter & oilier in the summer. That being said I use this method regardless of how my skin is reacting. Some would say "oil to wash you face if your face is already oily"...yes!
Here's a great article for reference:

When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing. (Written by Stephanie Strauss )
http://www.thebeautybottle.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=2

The rest of the article describes how the OCM works & how you should apply it.
I don't only use comercially made cleansing oils but have made a few in the past of which I love. But to be honest I've been too lazy lately & thus have purchased a few of which are in rotation.
Here's my receipe (that works for me). You have to find what oils & needs you want & which essential oils your skin can tolerate. Also, I store my oil in a glass drop style bottle & store it a dark dry space.


My own Cleansing Oil Recipe:
Grapeseed Oil
Castor Oil (just a little)
Sweet Almond Oil
& a couple drops of Lavender Oil


My skin can tolerate lavender oil while others cannot. I've also used Tea Tree Oil instead of Lavender, so its all a matter of experimenting.


Here's a link to carrier oils:

Carrier oils, also known as vegetable oils, base oils or fixed oils, are used to dilute essential oils, CO2s and absolutes before applying to the skin. (reference www.aromaweb.com)



Essential oils:



Here's an amusing clip from the Tyra Show in which Tyra shares her skincare secrets. She uses Shu Uemura:


With the OCM trial & error with experimenting different oils is necessary. That is also true for any new skincare regime you start with. Let me know how you like OCM & share your recipes in my comment section. Enjoy!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Comments are lovely! Thank you for stopping by beauty parler, the online powder room...

Blogger Template Created by pipdig